Mar 30, 2009

Weather detour


I typically walk to and from work everyday. One could even say that being active is part of my everyday life. I am fortunate to live in a community that is well-lit and includes sidewalks, and I try to take advantage of it through active transportation as well as running.

However, life isn't always about smelling the roses, and it's not always easy to do the right thing (maybe that's why life is about perseverance, but that's a topic for a different blog!). Despite being well aware of the benefits I receive from walking - from contributing to my health and the environment to connecting with friends and helping me work through issues - it's not always easy to do the 'right' thing.
So, here's the truth. I didn't walk to work today. I live a 12-15 min walk to work, and I took my car. I know. Not cool. However, I just couldn't face the rain today. The weather made me want to reach for a book to read, not my walking shoes.

My question to you and for myself: How do we fight the weather? Even with all of the awesome reasons to walk, the great places to walk and the resources to support walking decisions, how do we overcome the weather? Weather is one of the most common barriers to walking - my morning story is an example of that. What are weather-walking strategies to turn the detour into a much needed change of plan?




No comments:

Post a Comment