Hike the highlands Festival
1) Hikers are expected to be at the trailhead at least 30 minutes before the hike starts to check in.
2) Opening ceremonies on Friday, Sept. 11th will start when hikers come back from Middle Head between 7:30 pm. - 8:00 pm.
3) Outdoor Nature Photography workshop on Friday, Sept. 11th on the first weekend will take place at Jack Pine Trail, Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Meet at Jack Pine parking lot at Black Brook area at 1:30 pm.
4) Outdoor Nature Photography workshop on second weekend of the festival will be on Smokey Towers trail. Meet at Cape Smokey Provincial Park parking lot at 1:30 pm.
5) Introduction to GPS workshop will take at Brook Brook area - meet at Jack Pine Parking lot - 4:15 pm.
6) On Monday, Sept. 14 at NHN Trails, Cape North - There are two events a) There will be a guided hike- 4kms for hikers at NHN trails beginning at 10:00am. b) The Nordic Walking workshop - hiking with poles, a different event, will take place at 10:00 am and hikers will do another trail hiking with their poles. Please be there 30 minutes before the hike or workshop to check in. A barbecue will follow at 11:30 am. for hikers on the hike as well the Nordic Walking workshop.
7) Hikers are encouraged to pick up their Hike the Highlands festival Pass & National Park pass at the festival headquarters at Glenghorm Beach Resort, Ingonish. If you would like to pick them up at trailhead registration please e-mail email@example.com
Hours of Operation
Festival headquarters and registration desk is located at the conference room downstairs just past Thirsty Hiker Pub. Hours of operation during the festival :
Friday, September 11th -
12:00 pm. – 9:00 pm.
Saturday, September 12th
- 8:00 am. – 8:00 pm.
Sunday, September 13th
- 8:00 am.– 11:00 am., 5:30 pm. – 8:00 pm.
Monday, September 14th -
8:00 am. – 10:00 am. 6:00 pm. – 8:00 pm.
Tuesday, September 15th-
8:00 am. – 10:00 am. 6:00 pm. – 8:00 pm
Wednesday, September 16th - 8:00 am. – 10:00 am. Thursday, September 17th - 8:00 am. – 10:00 am.
Friday, September 18th-
8:00 am. – 10:00 pm 6:00 pm. – 8:00 pm
Saturday, September 19th-
8:00 am. – 12:00 pm. 5:00 pm. – 8:00 pm.
Sunday, September 20th - Closed/ Cleanup in afternoon
2009 Photo Contest
All Hikers are Encourage to Enter
All hikers in the 6th Annual Hike the Highlands festival are encourage to take pictures throughout the festival and entered the photo contest in the following categories 1) Flora, 2) Fauna, 3) People, 4)Scenery and 5) Humour. 1st place winners will receive a free Hike the Highlands Pass for 2010 festival and photos display on the website, and festival blog. 2nd & 3rd place winners will be displayed on the website. Contest details will be available at the festival headquarters.