May 22, 2009

Walking takes me... to the finish line


This was a big day. I sprint-walked-sprint-walked the course. It wouldn't have been possible without building up my endurance through the simple act of walking every day.
This was the Bluenose 10k. Now that I know that I can go further by breaking up my sprints with walking - and that, mind-blowingly, this can give me the same average speed as many of those hardy souls who jog the whole way - I'm game for more marathons, maybe even longer distances. And that just blows me away. I'm a walker, not a runner! But walking helped take me there.
Turns out there's whole communities of people who have already discovered this. Check out http://www.marathonwalking.com/. With proper preparation, you can walk a whole marathon. My entire worldview has shifted...

No comments:

Post a Comment